CAMDEN, MAINE: It was a quintessential Maine weekend – some fog, some clearing, some wind – and big fun had by the nearly 400 participants and sponsors in the third annual Camden Classics Cup. In the end, the overall winner was Gary Gregory and his team aboard the 12-metre Valiant.
The participants from the New York Yacht Club won the Yacht Club Challenge. In the Youth Regatta, the Camden Yacht Club’s Patrick Daly, skipper and Eliza Strout, crew placed first in the A Fleet. The North Have Casino Yacht Club’s Sebastien Nordenson, skipper and Oliver Perry, crew place first in the B Fleet.
Individual class winners were as follows:
Classic Division 1
- First Place – Gary Gregory, Valiant, 12-metre
- Second Place – Ramiro Ramos, Anjacaa, S&S custom
- Third Place – Alex Goldhill, Mah Jong, S&S Yawl
Classic Division 2
- First Place – Tom Kiley, Snow Star, Custom
- Second Place – Brooke Parish, Mermaid, S&S Custom
- Third Place – Malcolm Bromilow, Gesture, Walsted
Vintage Division 1
- First Place – Craig Venter, Sonny, S&S Sloop
- Second Place – Tim Rutler, Marilee, New York 40
- Third Place – Mathew Barker, The Blue Peter, Mylne Sloop
Vintage Division 2
- First Place – Chris Bouzaid, Leaf, Luders 24
- Second Place – Bob Scott Falcon New York 32
- Third Place – George Gans Snow Falcon Concordia 39 Yawl
Stephens Waring Yacht Design Spirit of Tradition Class
- First Place (for third year in a row) – Burt Keenan, Mystery, Center Harbor 31
- Second Place – Tony and Ann Merck, Anna, Lyman-Morse custom 65’
- Third Place – Drew Lyman, Magic, Lyman-Morse Seguin 44
- First Place – John Hanson and Polly Saltonstall, Frolic, Dark Harbor 17.5
- Second Place – David Webb, Tiger, Dark Harbor 17.5
- Third Place – Joshua Goldberg, Besherte, Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 18
Dolphin 24 One Design Class
- First Place – Kevin McManus, Little Haste
- Second Place – Jay Picotte, Recovery
- Third Place – Jamie Weymouth, Dolphin
J46 One Design Class
- First Place – Tom Babbitt, Bravo
- Second Place – Jeff Hamilton, Meme Chum
- Third Place – Brad Willauer, Breezing Up
- First Place – Jesse Henry, Migis Magic, J/32
- Second Place – James Bennett, Astraea, J/34C
- Third Place – Tom Hutchinson, Osprey II, C&C 40-2CB
The biggest winner was LifeFlight of Maine. A check for $25,000 was presented to Amy Root during the awards ceremony Saturday night at the Camden Yacht Club. This included a $10,000 donation made to the Camden Classics Cup by a member of the regatta.
The Camden Classics Cup is scheduled for the weekend prior to the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta, one of the most popular classic yacht races in New England, and is followed by Camden Classics Week, featuring a variety of maritime-related events and destination racing to Castine, Brooklin and the outer islands, plus youth sailing and events. It all sets up a perfect week of racing, cruising, and camaraderie. The town of Camden and its businesses embrace the maritime theme with art displays, a classic car expo, lectures, music and film, plenty of youth events and fun for the entire family all centered on the waterfront of beautiful Camden.
Next year’s event is July 25-27, 2019.
The Camden Classics Cup is presented by Lyman-Morse Boatbuilding in conjunction with the Camden Yacht Club and with sponsorships from the following organizations. Commodore Sponsors: Stephens Waring Yacht Design and Allen Insurance & Financial. Partner Sponsors: Artisan Boatworks; Awlgrip, Browne Trading Company, Camden National Bank, Maine Boats, Homes & Harbors; Points East; The Camden Herald; and WoodenBoat Magazine. Marine Sponsors: AGA Correa & Son; Bangor Savings Bank; Camden Coast Real Estate; Camden Real Estate; Epifanes; James L. Gribbel and Stephen Roop at Morgan Stanley; Landvest; Sea Bags; Shipyard Brewing Company; and Teakdecking Systems. Classic Sponsors: Bartlett Spirits; Camden Falls Gallery; First National Bank; Maine Casual; Ocean Navigator; PG Willey & Company; Redzone, Thompson Bowie & Hatch LLC; The Norumbega Inn; Weems & Plath; and WRI Weather Routing. Local Sponsors: 250 Main Hotel; Classic Yacht Models; Drouthy Bear Pub; Elm Street Marketing Essentials; Margo Moore Interiors; Martha Coolidge Design. Regatta Program Sponsor: Sparkman & Stephens. They all make the event a successful fundraiser for LifeFlight of Maine.
For more information and a complete schedule, visit: www.camdenclassicscup.com