Born Free is a lucky Bermuda 40. She has an owner that saw beauty and comfort in her lines and had the desire and skill set to make her better. Over the time he has own this yacht he has replaced 90% of the exterior teak, stripped and re-coated the bottom, Awlgripped the topsides just to list some highlights. She is easily the finest B-40 I have ever been on.
Born Free‘s pedigree and unique condition puts her at the top of this amazing fleet. She is currently stored in her custom heated barn in NH awaiting her next steward.
Price Reduced: $175,000
- loa 40'8
- lwl 27'10
- beam 11'9
- draft 8'9
- fuel capacity 40 gals
- water capacity 120 gals
- type Sail/Racing
- designed by Bill Tripp
- builder Hinckley
- model Bermuda 40
- year 1969
- location New Hampshire
- boat engine Westerbeke 55c
- horsepower 55hp
Layout and Design
|Cockpit and Deck
Born Free, like her sister-ships, has a very classic deck layout and finish. Deck is two tone with Oyster white and light gray non-skid highlighted by beautifully varnished teak. What separates Born Free is her condition and how much on deck is new under this owner and completely redone. 80% of the teak on deck has been replaced and meticulously rebuilt and finished. The addition of her custom butterfly hatch immediately catches your eye. Another very unique attribute to Born Free are her davits. They are custom varnished teak with stainless steel fittings. They eloquently sweep aft carrying beautiful lines and effectively holding off her lightweight tender. They are easily removable and have their own custom matching gray Sunbrella covers.The cockpit has two large compartments, port and starboard, under the settees. The boat is equipped with an Edson pedestal and 28″ painted elk hide covered wheel. The auto-pilot and chain counter are mount to port and starboard respectively with the throttle controls on starboard as well. Classically, the Constellation compass is center mounted. Forward on the pedestal are custom varnished teak cup holders and fold out cockpit table.There are white vinyl cockpit cushions with gray piping and a gray Sunbrella cockpit cover made in 2009 The custom dodger was built in 2002 with the same gray Sunbrella as was the cover for the butterfly hatch and lazarette hatches.
Aft of the cockpit is the propane locker to starboard, holding two 10 lb. aluminum tanks, and storage to port. Behind that is a large lazarette holding sails, the grill, the emergency tiller along with various other items.
Joining the butterfly hatch center piece on the cabin house is a large hatch over the master cabin with a white translucent Lexan lens, two large chrome cowels on painted dorade boxes and two pairs of varnished teak hand rails. Half round varnished eyebrows run the length of the cabin. The cabin has five windows per side all fixed except the head and one on the front fo the cabin centered.
|Sails and Rigging
All the sails have been professionally maintained and are in great shape. The spinnaker and solent have very low use.
- Extruded aluminum mast and boom, Awlgripped
- 1/4″ & 5/16″ 1 x 19 Stainless steel wire with swaged fitting(New 2008)
- Two Barient # 28 and two Barient # 22 winches (Serviced 2015)
- 2001-135% genoa
- 2001-Loose footed, main and mizzen
- 2003-Asymmetrical spinnaker with Seldon retractable spinnaker pole and traveler
- 2006-Solent. Only use a couple times
- Mizzen Staysail by Wooten-Sherman Sailmakers
- 2010 New Sail covers made of gray Sunbrella.
- Furlex Sea Furl (New 2001)
- Braided lines (New 2002)
All the electronics are in good working order. They have all been strategically placed to allow ease of use and movement around the cockpit. The auto-pilot is right at the wheel and the chartplotter is swings out from the companionway in a custom varnish teak case. The Tac Tics are mounted on the cabin bulkhead on a varnished teak plaque.
- 2009 Icom IC-M304 VHF with AIS 600 Receiver New 2011
- Tic Tac Digital Depth and Knot log New 2011
- Tic Tac Wind speed and repeater New 2011
- Danforth pedestal mounted compass
- Garmin 5212 Touch screen Radar/plotter combo New 2011
- Serius Weather Equipped and current 2015
- Furuno GPS Navigator GP-36
- Simrad Robertston AP11 auto-pilot with hydraulic linear drive new 2002
- New 2015 406 MHZ Category II EPIRB
- Three BC dry chemical and one ABC fire extinguishers
- One manually operated gusher type and one 12 volt Rule 2000
with float switch and pick up off engine intake, new panel
with counter and Aqualarm 2011
- Compressed air horn
- Two Jim-Buoy Type IV horseshoe flotation device
- One Lifesling
- Six Type I Life Jackets
- Signal flares, daylight smoke, parachute rockets
- First Aid kit
- Emergency ladder
Born Free has a custom pair of high gloss varnished teak clad dinghy davits with stainless steel hardware. These are unique to this Bermuda 40 and blend eloquently into her lines.
- 2013 AB 9AL Lightweight Aluminum inflatable
- Mercury 4-stroke 6HP(approxiamtely 10 years old) with less than 40 hours use.
- Bosun’s chair
- Custom rail chair
- Custom boarding ladder/swim ladder
- 15 Liter hanging Sun Shower
- Magma Marine Kettle 2: Stainless Steel combination stove and gas grill
- Assorted spares for onboard systems
- Assorted tools
- Spare lines
- Four finger fenders with dark blue fleece covers
- Dock lines
- Plates, cups, utensils and assorted galley supplies
- Two custom cutting boards
|Disclaimer: All speeds, measurements, capacities, consumption, etc. may be approximate or estimated. Specifications provided for information only. Data was obtained from sources believed to be reliable and is not guaranteed by owner or brokers. Buyer assumes the responsibility to ascertain the correctness of all data contained herein and otherwise provided and must instruct his agent and surveyors to confirm all details for accuracy prior to purchase. Subject to prior sale, price and inventory change, or withdrawal from market without notice.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Scott F. Layton